INTRADISTRICT /LOTTERY INFORMATION
FOR THE 2016-2017 SCHOOL YEAR
Printable Version in English, Spanish or Hmong
Please click on School to determine your Attendance Zone
IntraDistrict/Lottery Application Form
Intradistrict Attendance/Lottery Applications (for students who live outside the residence zone of the school of choice) are due by 3/25/2016 (new applicants only)
The School District Intradistrict Open Enrollment Policy is designed to provide parents with some degree of choice about the school they want their children to attend. As called for in the law, the policy provides a random, unbiased process to determine which students will be allowed to attend schools outside their attendance zones (the “lottery”).
Parents who want their children to attend a school outside their attendance zone should complete the Intradistrict/Lottery Attendance Application, which is available at all schools, IntraDistrict/Lottery Application Form, or at the District Office.
Once the form is completed, it must be returned to the District Office
at 301 W. Washington Boulevard by 5:00 pm on Friday, March 25, 2016.
IDT applications will NOT be accepted until registration packets have been
received for Kindergarten, TK and students new to the district at their zone school.
THE MAIN FEATURES OF THE POLICY ARE:
- Students from another attendance area may not displace students who live within a school’s attendance area.
- Once students have gone through the lottery process and have been approved to attend a school outside their attendance zone, they do not have to reapply annually. Parents of children who have been attending a Preschool outside their attendance zone, however, do need to complete an Intradistrict/Lottery Attendance Application if they wish the child to continue at the same non-zone school for Kindergarten and beyond.
- If students move during the year (after January 31), they may be granted permission to finish the year at the school they are enrolled in. However, they must begin attending their attendance zone school at the beginning of the next school year unless they have gone through the Lottery process.
- The District reserves the right to shift students to alleviate overcrowding class imbalances.
- School capacity to serve new students will be determined in the Spring of each year.
- The Special Education Department is responsible for maintaining a balanced class load in Special Education classrooms. Capacity to serve students who reside outside a school’s attendance zone will be determined by the Director of Special Education who can be reached at 464-0236.
- When requests to attend a school exceed the school’s capacity, a lottery will be held to determine the order in which students will be admitted.
- The district shall not provide transportation from outside a school’s attendance area. However, transportation for students living outside the attendance area is permitted if space on the bus is available and if the parents transport the students to a designated stop within the school of choice attendance area.
- The District Lottery for the 2015-16 school year will be on Friday, April 8, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. at the District Office at 301 W. Washington Boulevard. This meeting is open to the public.
Anyone wishing a complete copy of this policy may get one from their neighborhood school or the District Office at 301 W. Washington Boulevard. For parents who want their children to attend a school outside Del Norte County, there is an Interdistrict enrollment policy. Parents wishing information about this option may obtain it by contacting the School District.
Questions about the enrollment options should be directed to
Jeff Napier, Assistant Superintendent, 464-0202 or 464-6141 extension 202.